Day 29 – 8/17/17

Today was the final day of the internships, and there was no morning meeting. I wasn’t really nervous about presenting and I think it helped that I was going second. I think my presentation went pretty well, although I blanked out when someone asked me a question about the downsides of using Landsat 8. I should have said that we can’t use the image if there is cloud cover, but my answer wasn’t wrong either. Once my presentation was over, I sat through all of the other presentations and after a while it got a bit long. After all of the presentations were over I got my letter of recommendation and talked to Nina for a bit.

Overall this internship was an interesting experience and a good learning experience.

Advertisements

Day 28 – 8/16/17

I didn’t go to the morning meeting today because I had a commitment for school. So when I got to RIT this morning, I went up to the UAS lab. I opened up my presentation and talked through it with Nina. Since the story map link wasn’t working, I decided to turn in the presentation as is because it’s already about 10 minutes long. After I turned in my presentation I went back up to the lab where I went through the various story maps and ArcGIS online maps I had made, none of them worked. Nina later figured out that something had happened and they had all been deleted, not so great especially since it’s the last day… I spent the rest of the morning re entering in all of the photos and descriptions for the story map.

After lunch Nina showed me how to make the online ArcGIS map that had set layes with comparisons and field pictures. Then I spent the rest of the afternoon finishing the map so we can share it with the Nazareth professors soon. Once I finished the map, I got some scissors and broke down some boxes that Tim told me to break down earlier today.

Day 27 – 8/15/17

Today I spent all morning listening to the other interns presentations, giving them feedback, and presenting my own presentation. This took until lunch time to finish. After lunch, I made a few changes to my power point and then I went down to the optics lab. There I got a tour of what they are doing in the lab and then I talked to the PhD and graduate student who are working in the lab.

Day 26 – 8/14/17

Today started with the morning meeting. Then, I spent the morning taking new screen shots of the map layers for my presentation. I put all of the images into my power point, then I tried to access the story map and ArcGIS online map, and they finally both worked. After lunch I went over my presentation with Nina, and made new slides for the suspended materials, CDOM’s and chlorophyll a.

Day 25 – 8/11/17

Today started off with a brief morning meeting. After the meeting I went up to the lab where I made a new spreadsheet to import into ArcMap. The spreadsheet allowed me to make bar graphs comparing the turbidity, nitrogen and phosphorous levels from last year to this year. Once I uploaded the spreadsheet I made the final map layers, which took a while.

After lunch I met with Ryan, who explained how the chlorophyll analysis works. Then I went back to the lab and took screen shots all of the map layers that I am including in my presentation since  I won’t be able to open up the online map during the presentation.

Day 24 – 8/10/17

Today started with the morning meeting where we got an outline of what we will be expected to have ready for next week in terms of presentations. After the meeting I went up to the UAS lab where I worked on uploading the various ArcMap layers into ArcGIS online so I can show the map the other interns tomorrow. Once I did that, I worked on my final power point presentation. Before I went to lunch, I met with Ryan who showed me some past presentations that explained how the chlorophyll and phycocyanin readings work.

After lunch I worked on the short power point that I presented to one of the Nazareth professors later in the day. Once I finished that presentation I resumed work on my final presentation. Later this afternoon I went to Nazareth, where I met with one of the professors from the Nazareth internship.

Day 23 – 8/9/17

I spent most of my day today trying to figure out a way to compare the nitrogen and phosphorous data from last summer to the data from this summer in Arc Map. While I couldn’t figure out how to do that comparison, I did make layers for pH by season and color coordinated the pH scale. Other than working on the map I really didn’t do much else.